Monday, November 26, 2007

Thankful

Last week I spent like an hour writing a post and just as I was about to publish it the NEPA went and lost the Internet connection and everything I wrote. When there's no NEPA we put on the generator, but I was so frustrated by the whole event I turned off the computer and went upstairs. I tell you all this because NEPA is currently powering the system and I'm reminded of the upset that occurred the last time, hoping it doesn't happen again.
Not too long ago I learned there are school fees primary and secondary education (the equivalent of K-12). On top of the school fees, parents must buy their children's books, and on top of that school uniforms. It's no wonder there are so many adults and children who are not educated. Blessing went as far as primary school, currently studying to pass her secondary school exam.
I was talking with a doctor last week-he said the most all of the books in their library are from the 1940's. I sort of choked and laughed at the same time, it's seemed so absurd, I couldn't believe it.
Blessing's brother died this weekend in a car accident in Lagos (big city that used to be the capital near the coast) His burial will be in the village, about 8 hours drive from here. What do you say to someone who has just lost part of their, and so unexpectedly? There aren't enough words...
Last week I watched a doctor stitched up a hole the size of a silver dollar in the side of a guy's knee due to a bike accident. For the time I've been here, I think I've only seen one or two guys wearing a helmets. The week before that one of the our staffs brother was killed instantly in a bike crash just down the road. The majority of people can't afford a car. Bike transport is, for most part, their only means of getting around-to work, the market, the hospital, wherever...

No comments: