Saturday, December 1, 2007

Faith Alive

You know what's amazing to me? Everything at Faith Alive is free. Their counseling services, HIV testing, doctor visits, lab tests, medications (ARV's and otherwise), sewing school, computer school, transitional teen housing, food bank, it's all 100% F-R-E-E. There is no other hospital like it in Jos, and I would venture to guess in all of Nigeria, although I'm not positive. Other hospitals in this area charge for every little thing: the hand card, the visit with the doctor, the lab test and the medication; all separate fees.
I went to Blessing's house last week. Mind you, she lives with her two boys and her sister-in-law. Her 'house' is a ten by ten room with a double mattress on the floor, clothes hanging on free standing bars on the walls and everything else lining the perimeter of the room. She and her boys sleep on the bed together and her sister pulls out another mattress that leans up against the wall during the day. She cooks and bathes outside. Everything was very neat and tidy, clean and organized. Even as she was mourning the loss of her brother, when I arrived she said, "Nikki! Please, what can I offer you to drink..."

3 comments:

Harlan of the Hills said...

Nikki---Been keepin' up with ya, and can I say--"WOW"(like Joey Lawrence)--what an experience! Keep up the writting-- will be reading. Started a blog myself, on here, cuz it sounded fun. Think you might get a kick out of it. It'll make you laugh a bit I hope. thereintroductionofaesthetics.blogspot.com Hope to see you there. Keep up the amazing work. Kisses. Harlan

judes said...

nikki, i miss you so much - so proud of you....jt

judes said...

nikki, i miss you so much - so proud of you....jt