Thursday, December 27, 2007

Chicken Little

I had gone to the market with Blessing that afternoon, she bought the fixings for "vegetable soup" which she had been talking about all morning. First she bought fish, which was an experience unto it's own-there's just a pile of frozen fish, like whole fish, head, eyes, skin, bones, the whole enchilada, then a woman who's sitting on what looked like an overturned bucket of sorts. You pick out which one you want, and when I say pick, I mean you're literally handling all the fish to find the one you want. So you have your fish, and then fish lady uses her super machete to chop off the head, slice off the fins and dice it into little steak like pieces. She throws it into a small plastic bag and calls it good. The whole while there's swarms of flies buzzing all over the place. So that happened, and then we went from stand to stand gathering tomatoes, spinach, onion etc. Once she got everything she needed we headed back to her house to drop off the goodies. I think I may have mentioned this before, Blessings "kitchen" is more or less a cement block next to the room she sleeps in. Imagine a cube and remove one side, that's her kitchen. There's a single charcoal burner and a couple of benches with some pots and pans. Finding this totally intriguing I walked over to get a better visual of how all this might work. Like, where do you keep your water? Where do you eat? Where do you chop food? Do you have a cutting board? So anyways I'm rambling on, playing a round of 20 questions when I hear a noise.
"Blessing...what's that?"
"That my chicken."
"Your chicken?"
"Yeah, my students bought me chicken for Christmas."
I turn the corner to find a rooster with one leg tied to a post in the middle of the cube.
"Blessing, there's a chicken in your kitchen."
She laughs. "I know, I feed it every morning."
Rooster crowing
"No but seriously Blessing, there's a chicken in your kitchen."
Still laughing. "Yes, I will fix it when my children come home from village."
"Soooo, when you say 'fit it' you're going to kill it yourself? Like, right here?"
"Yes."
"But, how do you, I don't, where do you..."
I couldn't even get the words out. It was so far beyond my ability to understand at that time, I was speechless. I asked her about the process in detail later after I had some time to compose myself. Turns out she's never actually done this before, slaughtering a chicken. But she has seen in done in the village...so I guess that's all the training one needs?

No comments: