Sunday, January 20, 2008

Holy Dust Batman

I was aware of the dust factor when I first arrived, but seriously? I swear it's a thousand times worse. As in, I wiped down the dust yesterday, tables, chairs, headboard, etc. And this morning it looked like a sandstorm came through over night. And it's not just the furnishings, it's my clothes, my sheets, my bedspread, the curtains, everything! It's doing a number on my allergies, that's for sure. And on another note, I've suddenly become aware of the unwelcome changes in my skin. "Dry" does not even begin to describe, it's sort of like, rhino meets reptile. It's not cute folks. I've given up on trying to keep my feet clean. One trip to the clinic and back and my feet look like they've been doused with dirt and mashed with mud. Then add to that just a thin thin layer of dust that coats everything else, legs, feet, arms, etc. Not exactly glamorous. I think I took a bucket bath three days ago. Yeah, something like that. I attempted it yesterday, but the air was so cold I only got as far as washing my feet. Think of it like this: a fall morning in Colorado, except that's the temperature inside the bathroom. Cut to, bucket of steaming water staring up at your from a cold porclin tub. It's not exactly inviting. I had goosebumps from head to toe just from soaking my feet. The thought of pouring water over my body in such crisp conditions was more than I could bear. Mornings have become quite chilly, at first a welcome change to the swealtering heat. But now, sort of a nuisance with the whole bath factor in mind. Having said all that, I'm still greatful to be able to bathe indoors, many don't have such a luxury. I'm thankful that I have water to bathe with, and a stove to boil water on. There's been a strike at some level of the government which has somehow caused a water shortage in and around Jos. I haven't been affected to badly, but I know many others that have. Count your blessings, right?

No comments: