Friday, January 25, 2008

Couple of Things



First, I love holding babies. This is true of any baby, but I've just recently found I'm particularly fond of African babies. I could do it for hours, seriously. Especially this one little girl, she's two months old. One of the sewing students babies, ah, so cute, you don't even know. Second, I've made some head way with the kids who call at me everyday from the street, Ouybo! (white person) Now they say, "Nikki". Well not all of them, but some, and let me tell you, it makes me feel warm fuzz on the inside. It's like now, I'm more than just the random tall white girl they see every day, I have a name, and it's personal . I'm trying, although not very successfully, to learn their names. Of course they're all traditional which makes it ten times more difficult to pronounce let alone remember. Lastly, the girls in the sewing shop have been helping learn Hausa. It's a slow grueling process, but they've been so patient and persistent with me. Every once and a while I'll say something that makes sense. The rest of the time it just mumbo jumbo. They tend to have a good laugh, either way.
Sunday a group of peeps from my church arrive, really excited about it, needless to say. Time is flying, hard to believe it's the end of January already. Which by the way means I've been here for a total of four months! Woo hoo!

No comments: