Friday, February 8, 2008

It's Been a While

As many of you may already know, a group of eight (plus a few others) from my church were in Jos the last week and a half. There aren’t enough words to say what a much needed visit it was. Seriously. For the last couple of days I’ve been adjusting back into life in Jos sans peeps. I knew it was going to be hard, just not this hard.

Yesterday I started helping out at a special needs school not too far from Faith Alive called Open Doors, working with kids who have disabilities. One of the gals on the team was/is an occupational therapist and worked on a handful of the kids out there. I shadowed her for a couple days, got a crash course in child development and BAM! I’m now serving as a stand-in OT. Let’s just talk about how much patience is required to work with kids in general, and then you add on to that kids with disabilities.

When I’m not at Open Doors I’m going to be doing computer training with the staff at the clinic. With the long term goal to go electronic, it’s no surprise beefing up computer competency amongst the staff is at the top of the priority list. I don’t consider myself a computer guru by any means, but with most people I’m literally saying, “This is a mouse; this is what it means to double click; this is how you save a document, this is how you create a folder; etc.” For others it’s a little more advanced, like “This is Google, this is how you perform a search” Hmmm, yet another lesson in patience. Is God trying to tell me something?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hang in there kid! You are AWESOME!

Holly Hagena said...

We miss you, Nikki! Hang in there -- God has so much more to do through you in Jos. You were such a Godsend for us. :-)
Erika (using Holly's password!)