Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Cops and Robbers

Last week I went to visit a pastor who had been shot outside his home. He had just come home from work when a bunch of thieves jumped him, shot him and forced him to open the door to his home. They took what you might expect, money, electronics, cell phones, etc. He was shot in the ankle, so we were bringing him crutches. That same day Blessing said in passing she lost someones e-mail address when she was robbed, as if it happens every day. They held a gun to her face and took her money and phone. The next day when I was working in the pharmacy, out of mere curiosity, I asked my friend Krysty if she'd ever been robbed-it happened to her twice. Granted robberies happen all over the world. I've just never known anyone who's personally encountered not only their thief but their firearm as well.
After days of passing pockets of trash along the road I asked if there happens to be a trash service in the area. I was told there is a government service that is supposed to come around once a week. But, because it's government and they get paid no matter what, they come around when they feel like it. Krysty was saying it's been 4 weeks since they last came. Needless to say the aromas are...fragrant. There are different waves, they're a sour milk smell, rotting sea food, feces (probably from the goats and chickens that roam the streets), your basic sewer smell, the gassy exhaust smell, burning trash smell and then the several smells that just don't have a name because there just aren't enough words to explain.
Another interesting phenomenon: motorbikes. They're EVERYWHERE. Like bees. Buzzing up and down, left and right. There's no "that is your lane and this is mine", no no. It's a total free for all. This morning I saw four kids on one bike, including the driver. The first kid was sitting on the handle bars followed by the driver and three kids sandwiched behind him. There was another time I was in the market and I saw a guy who had just purchased lawn chairs. The driver had two of them balancing on the handle bars and the guy was holding the other two over his head, cycle in motion. I fear for every one of their lives. I really do.
The NEPA is on and I'm paranoid it's going to switch off at any second and I'll lose all that I just typed; that happened the last time I tried to post something and I was so frustrated I just said screw it. I'm not going through the whole process of finding the generator in the dark, re-booting, re-typing, etc. So with that said, over and out.

No comments: