Monday, October 8, 2007

Monday, Monday

Funny thing happened today...I was meeting with Ayo about some projects I'll be helping with (more to come on that later) when this woman walked into the room and asked me for my keys. Now, I know that I'd met her, but couldn't quite place who she was or why she might be asking for my keys. So I said, for...what? To which she quickly responded that she needed to clean and fill up my water (the big black barrel in the corner of my bathroom that I use for washing my face, bathing, flushing the toilet, washing my clothes, everything) That made sense, so I handed her my keys. It wasn't more that a minute after she left that I began thinking, I just gave away my keys! Why didn't I giver her my social security card and my passport while I was at it? I did that actually...when I first arrived. I'd been traving for 24+ hours and landed in Abuja at 4:30 in the morning. As I was standing in the ever long immagration line, random Joe Nigerian waves me to the front of the line to join the only other two white women in the place (of which I quickly discovered were also goinig to Faith Alive). He mumbled something in English or Housa, I'm not really sure, it was all the same to me at that point, then asked me to give him my passport and meet him at the front after collecting my bags. So, I handed him my passport. As I started walking toward the baggage claim, it caught up with me, I just gave him my passport...I thought, yep, that's it. I'm never leaving Nigeria. I got my bags and all the while frantically surching for Joe, who was no where to be found. As I started to gravitiate toward the herd of people at the exit, Joe, my Nigerian in shining armor showed up with my passport! I could have cried. To make another long story short, I got my keys back and all was well.

2 comments:

Don Mussard said...

Nikki,
These tidbits of your days there are like a real conversation with you. I can see you talking and hear your voice as you tell the story. Keep them coming. It helps us know how to put together the prayers for you.
Love
Don and Peg

Nikki said...

Ah, I'm glad to hear it. Thanks for the encouragement :)