Thursday, October 4, 2007

Days Seem Like Weeks

I'm not trying to beat a dead horse here, but seriously...so much happens in a day. Let's see, went to the orphanage today. Couple things: Number one, there were not as many orphans as I thought there would be. We walked in to find three toddlers and one infant. There were five in all. Only one kid who was at school while we were there. He's 10 and has some pretty severe disabilities. From what I understood, the kids that were there were left on the street. People don't deliver their unwanted children directly to the orphanage. 
Next point, the toddlers weren't wearing diapers or pants or anything but a t-shirt. Just a bunch of little bare butts. So when they need to go, you know, they just go on the floor and crawl in the puddle or pile of whatever it turns out to be. The toddlers were on the floor when we walked in, I would say they were somewhere around 6months to a year? Both of them were gnawing on limes. When I say gnaw, I mean they were literally eating the rinds of whole limes. I took pictures. Still letting it sink in. 
When we first arrived I met a woman by the name of Blessing. Tonight she told us how she came to know about Faith Alive. She was married when she was 14 through an arranged marriage. She had three children with her husband before he died of AIDS. After he died, his family believed she was to blame for his death and no longer welcomed them in their home. Her pastor told her about Dr. Chris and Faith Alive and she came down to Jos without her children. She started on the ARV drugs, and went throughout the sewing school. At some point she went back to her village and took her children. The husbands family threatened to come after her and take her to court, but never did. Millions of stories like this I'm sure...

5 comments:

Don Mussard said...

Keep talkin'. We're reading.
Don & Peg

Richard said...

let me know if you need a care package. How much casava root and African pot roast can you handle. im making East african assumptions.

Mark said...

Burksie- I can't believe the descriptions you are sending. I don't think we really have a clue back home about true suffering. Please keep writing...pita

Unknown said...

Hi Nik, Great to hear your news! Your descriptions are so graphic, I feel like I'm in Nigeria with you! Our prayers keep coming your way...love, Mom xxx

Nikki said...

All I can say is, where the spices at? What I wouldn't give for Chipotle...