Tuesday, October 16, 2007

I Can't Believe It...

The Rockies are in the World Series? Are you serious? I was watching BBC World news of all things when I hear "Colorado Rockies make it into the World Series for the first time in their history" My heart actually skipped a beat.
In other news, I've felt totally disconnected without the Internet. It feels like century since I was last on. There's just been a desktop set up in the guest house where I'm staying, so I think I'll be able to access more regularly. This is good news.
Last week I had my hair braided, with extensions. I feel like such an impostor. If you saw me right now you just might laugh. Fortunately for me, the Nigerians think it's fabulous. After sitting in a rusted tin chair for five hours, Blessing took me to a Salon to have the ends curled under. Now, I need to preface this with, most Nigerian women have their infants/toddlers with them wherever they go. At the clinic, at work, support group, all the time. With that said, it wasn't a surprise to see a toddler hangin out in the salon when we arrived. The interesting part came about when he needed to go to the bathroom. It went something like this: boy signals to mom he needs to relive himself. Mom pulls off his pants. Mom then hurls little boy by one arm into the backyard of the salon, by which little boy squats on the pavement and drops a load. It gets better. Older sister (I'm guessing) then goes out and washes away the little droppings with a bucket of water. Actually it took several, but nonetheless. It was incredible. I had a front row seat for the whole thing. Now back to the hair. When Blessing said I was to have my ends curled under, I honestly didn't think it through. What I mean by that is this-to curl ones hair with a your average curling iron would require electricity, of which is hardly ever on. So naturally the next best thing would be to roast a literal curing iron over an open fire to get the job done. I swear I'd see these things in a museum somewhere. It was a total trip. Women have told me my weave is supposed to last about two weeks. I'm thinkin, not so much. My Oyubo hair isn't holding up the way I'd hoped. I think it's coming out tonight.
Another bit of news, for the rest of the month I'll be working on a different project than the one previously mentioned. The guy who's currently in charge of the computer network is going to another organization. Apparently this happens quite a bit; Dr. Chirs said next to a government job, Faith Alive is the highest paying in Nigeria. But, what ends up happening is other international NGO's in Nigeria recruit talent from Faith Alive for a much higer salary. So anyways, this guy is leaving at the end of the month. Well, before he goes they want to transfer all their data to a new software program. But in order to do that they have to fix duplicate pharmacy records from the old one (the new program won't accept two records from the same day). That's where I come in. I go through line after line of duplicated records and combine them into one. There are over 1,500 duplicates (I counted). Twenty nine pages worth. I've been going at it for three days now, and I'm on page 9. Good times... In all seriousness though, it feels great to be productive. Be it ever so tedious.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Burksie, your situation sounds amazing. What a life changing experience...and thanks for sharing! I'm not gonna lie, I've been anxiously awaiting a post. :) I love hearing about your adventures! I'm insanely jealous! Hinzie.

Unknown said...

Reading about the lack of toilets where you are reminded me of living in Japan in 1954. We lived off base of Itazuki Air Force base on Kyushu.
I saw old and young alike use the dirt walkways near the street for their personal relief. The whole world was their bathroom. How times change. Your mother was just two years old then. Loved reading your blog!...and love you too!!! Grandma Gordon

Nikki said...

Hinzie! I'd been anxious to write...patience is a virtue that I'm working on...Thanks for checking in :)

Nikki said...

Ah grandma G, I love that you lived in Japan. The stories you gain from going abroad, priceless.
Love you!