Friday, October 19, 2007

Rain and Raving

There's nothing like it really. That sweet smell. For about 5 minutes I was in a Colorado rain storm. It's funny how a smell can take you back like that. It was euphoric really. And then man with a megaphone started his weekly ritual. I don't think I've talked about this phenomenon. Anyone with a megaphone can go wherever they want and say anything they want until whatever time they want. Lucky for me there's one of these masterpieces attached to the church across the street from my flat. They "sing" mostly, which sounds like two tone deaf men trying to harmonize, whilst yelling. It's deafening. It's like the speaker is in my room, I'm not even kidding. My iPod can't even drown it out on full volume. Noise violation anyone? Other times they preach. It's like being center stage with a televangelist, substituted with Nigerian accent. There are also megaphones on wheels. Usually accompanied by a wheel barrel; one man driving, one man selling X product. My favorite was a guy camped in the middle of the market mit megaphone strapped to the top of his car. Hunched in the driver seat, feet hanging over the door going on and on about some supplement he was selling. Like nothing you've ever seen, I'm telling you.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Ah yes, I remember the loud speakers on the motor vehicles in Japan. Sometimes it was music as well as sales, politics--you name it. We didn't hear about theft, however. I don't think we even locked our doors. The Japanese were very clean. They raked the dirt paths outside their homes. Never saw trash. A honey buck man came by with his ox pulled cart to empty the homes "latrines." It was taken to the rice paddies.

Jessica said...

If you think the smell of rain is nice...we are supposed to get snow in two days!!!!! I bet you won't miss shoveling your car out:) Hope all is well babe.

Unknown said...

It's hard to believe that only 3 weeks have gone by since we enjoyed our lovely day together here in London on your way to Nigeria! WOW! You have packed so much into your time there and have had so many experiences, it must seem like a lifetime! We enjoy reading about them all - thanks for sharing! The noise pollution must be a real challenge to deal with - yea for the I-pod! You are always in our prayers.
Love you lots, Mom & Garrie xxx

Mark said...

Nikki- just a little heads up, friend. You don't need to travel half way around the world to have mind-deafening noise seeping into your bedroom. You just need a husband and four kids!

We miss ya' back here at the Fort. I often reminisce about the cess pool days! What fun times those were!

Take care friend and send us all an "I KNOW!"

Nikki said...

To Bread-

Ah, salmon skin roll... :)

I miss the 'ol cess, good times those were. Real good times.